EasyTomato Upgrade Guide
Last modified: June 6, 2013
Note: This guide works for upgrading EasyTomato versions as well as for switching from other versions of Tomato or DD-WRT to EasyTomato.
Upgrading to the newest version of the EasyTomato firmware is very easy.
Obtaining the installation file
Before you begin the upgrade you will need to download the latest firmware file that you will be installing from www.easytomato.org/download
Preparing for the upgrade: Best practices
Before you begin, print this document and make sure that you have the upgrade file. You will not have internet access during the installation.
It’s a good idea to read through the entire procedure before you begin, so you’ll have an idea of what you’ll be doing.
During the installation, it is important to make sure that the router does not lose power. For this reason, it is best to perform the installation in a stable environment and not in a location with rapidly and unpredictably shifting conditions, such as a disaster zone.
If you are operating in a remote location or if internet access is mission-critical, always have a backup router ready for use in the event of problems.
When you upgrade, you will clear your NVRAM, causing you to lose all of your saved settings. Take any notes you will need to recreate your settings before you begin the upgrade process.
Performing the upgrade
Make sure that you have secure access to power and the internet.
- Make sure that the router is powered-up, turned on, and fully booted up.
- Connect your computer to the router with a network cable. Plug the cable into any of the yellow LAN ports. Do not connect the cable to the blue WAN port.
- Unplug any other devices that are connected to the router.
- Open a browser and enter the IP address of your router ( http://192.168.1.1 or other if you have changed it). The EasyTomato firmware main screen appears, and you are asked to log in.
- Log in to the EasyTomato firmware as you would normally. If you have not changed the password, enter admin for both the username and the password. If you have, enter admin for the username and your chosen password.
- Click the advance tomato button on the top right of the screen (above the time).
- The Advanced Tomato screen appears. Click on administration in the navigation panel on the left.
- A dropdown will open. Click on the upgrade link. It is the last in the dropdown.
- It will open the Upgrade firmware screen. You will now upload the upgrade file.
- In the “Select the file to use:” field, browse to the EasyTomato Upgrade file (the one you downloaded from the zip file from the downloads page).
- Ensure that the “After flashing erase all data in NVRAM memory” check box is checked.