Installing EasyTomato is simple, and you only need to do it one time, for the life of your router.
You don’t need to be a wireless wizard to do this. You will only be installing two files on the router. The whole process takes about 5 minutes.
Read this document first, to see how easy the installation process is. If you still feel uncomfortable about performing the installation, find a more technically experienced person to help you.
What happens during the installation
During the install we will be replacing the default Asus “firmware” with the EasyTomato firmware. (“firmware” is the name for a software program that controls hardware. In this case, the router).
When you are done, your router is running the EasyTomato firmware. The Asus firmware is no longer present on your router, though it may be reinstalled at a later point if desired.
Requirements for installing EasyTomato
There is only one requirement: Your router must be an Asus RT-N16.
If you try to install EasyTomato on the wrong type of router, you could render the router inoperable and possibly irrecoverably damage it.
Obtaining the installation files
Before you begin the installation, you need to download the EasyTomato installation or “image” file.
You can download this file from the EasyTomato website: www.easytomato.org/download
Preparing for the installation: Best practices
Before you begin, print this document and make sure that you have the installation files. You will not have internet access during the installation.
It’s a good idea to read through the entire procedure before you begin, so you’ll have an idea of what you’ll be doing.
During the installation, it is important to make sure that the router does not lose power. For this reason, it is best to perform the installation in a stable environment and not in a location with rapidly and unpredictably shifting conditions, such as a disaster zone.
If you are performing this installation as part of a router upgrade, keep the original router as a backup.
If you are operating in a remote location or if internet access is mission-critical, always have a backup router ready for use in the event of problems.
Performing the installation
Make sure that you have access to stable power and the internet, then confirm that your router is an Asus RT-N16.
- Make sure that the router is turned on, and fully booted up.
- Unplug any other devices that are connected to the router.
- Connect your computer to the router with a network cable. Plug the cable into any of the yellow LAN ports. Do not connect the cable to the blue WAN port.
- Open a browser and enter the IP address of your router ( http://192.168.1.1). The Asus firmware main screen appears, and you are asked to log in.
- Log in to the Asus firmware by entering admin for both the username and the password.
- Click the firmware version number at the top of the screen.
- The Asus Administration Firmware Upgrade screen appears. Now you will install the EasyTomato firmware on the router.
- In the New Firmware File field, browse to the EasyTomato file you previously downloaded.
- Click Upload. The installation begins, and a progress bar appears. When the installation completes, the EasyTomato control panel appears, but the install process is NOT finished!
- Now you must reset the router.
- Disconnect the router power cord.
- Press and hold the red WPS button on the back of the router. Reconnect the power cord while you are holding the button down. Do not release the button yet! (Note: The power light button on the front of the router blinks rapidly when you hold the WPS button down and power up the router.)
- Hold the button down for 10 seconds, then release it. The router reboots itself at this point.
- That’s it! Once the router finishes booting you’re running EasyTomato. Re-connect any cables that you disconnected before you began and enjoy.
Congratulations! You just installed EasyTomato. That wasn’t so hard, was it?